<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://freefromfairy.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Free From Fairy: Best gluten-free yule log

Wednesday, 19 December 2012

Best gluten-free yule log

I thought it was about time that I experimented with a yule log.  The kids do not like Christmas cake so I decided to make this as our special cake this year.  If you are a bit scared about rolling up a cake don't let it put you off making this.  My cake didn't roll properly, and it broke in three places - but you will be covering it with chocolate icing so it doesn't matter!



I followed Mary Berry's recipe for the cake which you can find here.  Whilst the cake was still hot I turned it onto another piece of baking paper and 'tried' to roll it...you could just cut it lengthwise into three pieces and then sandwich them together with the icing!  That is effectively what I did with mine!  When cooled I then used the following recipe for the icing and filling...

Filling & icing

  • 100g plain (70%) chocolate, melted with
  • 150g milk chocolate
  • 100g double cream
  • 100g icing sugar, sifted
1) Melt the chocolate
2) Add the cream to the chocolate and stir till combined
3) Add the icing sugar to the cream mix and beat till creamy
4) Unroll the cooled cake and spread icing on it before rolling up again.  If you have cut the cake into three just sandwich the pieces together with the icing and then spread the remainder over the top and sides.
5) Leave for approx 10-15 minutes before using a fork to mark the icing, making it look like bark
6) To serve sprinkle with icing sugar.

I haven't sprinkled mine with icing sugar yet because I am putting it in the freezer until the weekend...Once fully defrosted I will sprinkle it with icing sugar.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home